Monday, September 21, 2009

Cross throught the eyes

Kings CX Weekend (OVCX #1) Cat/3 4th finish...80+ riders @ a 12:00pm start...Wet and Stormy Rain made the ground into a big banana peel...entered day/of reg...which put me in the back row at the start...I went to the outside and raced pass the feild to become the first rider into the first corner right off the gun. Best accomplishment of position I've ever had! Lead the first lap down a track I had not seen at all! (http://29ercrew.com/author/tmullen/) Travis Mullen, the winner of the race had chased me down where we held 30 sec. gap on Drew Dillman and a 4th rider. Each lap the this Up/down/switch back/hillside/mud thing was costing me 5-6 bike-length's on Travis, that I would have to chase back over the next 400yds. That lead me on Lap 5 to overspeed a corner off a decent crashing and pulling my wheel out of my fork. Drew and the other racer passes as I was putting my cable together on my brake. As I chased back to the two of them I ate a GU w/ no water. 1/2 a lap while ridding in a 3 man pack, and then Drew fell down wide on a corner. Now I was running just behind 2nd and we were hitting heavier Lap Traffic. Last lap in a fast right that was opening up to a long straight, I over powered my back wheel and it wiped out laying me down to slide with holding on w/both hands and clipped in for 25 ft. Got up and jumped on as Drew whizzed by. 800yds and 14 turns to the finished, I could only try to close the gap. The three of us finished seconds apart with Travis winning out on his own by 20sec. or so. It was a great race!

No comments:

Post a Comment